To fully appreciate how Caldwell Veterans Memorial Hall complements our community, it is important to understand the history of the building itself.
The structure was originally built in 1913 by an architect by the name of Soule, as one of the smallest Carnegie Libraries in Idaho: the Caldwell Carnegie Library. This library was constructed from a grant by the Carnegie library foundation and opened to the public in 1914. Caldwell’s Carnegie Library served as the city’s library from 1914 to 1976. At that time the city made a property trade with the school district for its new library and the district used the Carnegie Library for administrative offices. Just three years later on June 18, 1979, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places. In 2014, The City of Caldwell purchased the old Carnegie Library building from the Caldwell School District and agreed to designate it as a Veterans Memorial Hall to be utilized by all veteran and partnership organizations to provide a wide variety of programs and services to veterans and their families.